A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Post trip update

So I've been back at home a few days now, and it is still feeling like the right decision to get off the trail when I did. I've been seeing photos online of people who have made it to the Canada border over the last few days, and these have stirred in me some sense of longing for getting to accomplish the whole trail in one season. But in the backgrounds of all these photos is the unmistakable gray haze of forest fire smoke, and seeing this has cemented in me the feeling of not wanting to hike through the beautiful Washington when the sky is choked with smoke. And of course being back with Libby and Abbey is so wonderful and has filled an emptiness that had grown throughout the hike. I've been spending a lot of time in the ocean to distract myself and my body from not being on the trail, and this seems to be working. I am really excited about returning to finish the trail at some point, but doing those miles now, when conditions and my body and my emotions are not at their optimum, just to say I did it in one season, has grown to feel like doing those miles for other peoples' reasons, not my own. If I can't enjoy the miles in the way I want to, then I'd rather not invest all that time and pain and loneliness in doing them. I'm really lucky to have so many amazing things to do with my time, and to have the ability to do them on my own schedule and pace.


Climbing from Portland airport, looking north past lots of haze to a big plume of smoke somewhere in WA.


Over the next week or so I will do some reviews of the gear and other things I used and put together a few tips for doing the hike. And some time in the future I will be back out there on the trail, looking for birds and enjoying views and taking my time to finish Washington.  

6 comments:

  1. Great stuff Jon, I have been following your adventure since California and it has been a blast! An amazing achievement.
    All the best for whatever comes next!
    Kind regards
    Gareth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, I meant Scott! Your webpage starts sfjon...which I read too quickly as Jon!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for reading Gareth, glad you enjoyed it.

      Delete
  2. Scott - I have been following you from the very beginning, back in April. What an accomplishment: over 2000 miles. Unbelievable. I am looking forward to reading any gear comments that you have in the future, as well as just general tips about the trail, as I, and my son, plan on doing the trail next April from Campo to Kennedy Meadows. So naturally, I will read with interest your upcoming blogs. Thanks again for taking all the countless hours to write your blog. It was a joy to read. My email address is: pretzel jimmy@gmail.com. I live in northern Illinois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jimmy, glad you enjoyed reading and I'm stoked to hear you're planning to hike some of the trail next year. Gear reviews and tips are currently "in development".
      Cheers,
      Scott

      Delete
  3. Scott -

    I'd been following your trip this summer, and caught up to everything today. I thoroughly enjoyed the blog. I liked the details, the head-thoughts, the birding bits, and the excellent prose. Hope to read about more travels sometime soon.

    -Derek

    ReplyDelete