A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

August 20. Day 111.


Santiam Pass to Rockpile Lake (mile 2012.3).
Miles hiked: 13.9.

Puttered around a couple hours organizing things and trying to figure out what's going on with the fires and trail closures in Washington. Then Allyson drove me all the way back to the trail and I got hiking by around 12:30



The trail climbed up through some old burned forest with views back south through the bleached trunks at the Three Sisters and Mt Washington. It was a beautiful day with really clear light blue mid day sky and the distant peaks were crisp and seemed so close. I skirted around he west side of Three Fingered Jack, a small but dramatically eroded old volcanic core. Down to the west little blue lakes  shimmered in the sun like gems tossed out on a green carpet.

Looking south toward the Three Sisters area. 

Around the north side of Three Fingered Jack the trail regained the crest ridge and followed it for the rest of the day. Through breaks in the trees I could see back south across a huge panorama, including the low plains where Sisters and Bend are, Black Butte, Broken Top, Middle and North Sisters, Washington, and Three Fingered Jack. Such an incredible view, perhaps the best yet in Oregon. Wind blew across the ridge, keeping it cool and making noises like human voices in the old burned snags. I saw a couple southbounders and some other thru hikers and backpackers at a water source, but otherwise had the trail to myself. 

Three-fingered Jack

I had dinner at Rockpile Lake, a little shallow pool stuck in a notch between the ridge and a side peak, with the intention of hiking a couple more miles after eating. But the meal took longer than I was expecting and I just ended up setting up camp there. I did my camp chores then snacked and wrote and read while the sliver moon played peekaboo behind dark tree trunks. 


Birds:
Northern Flicker 
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
Mountain Chickadee 
Oregon Junco 
Bluebird - I think Western, but not a good look 
Common Raven 
Chipping Sparrow 
Clark's Nutcracker 

No comments:

Post a Comment