A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Sunday, July 26, 2015

July 21. Day 81.

Indian Creek to mile 1313.3.
Miles hiked: 27.9.


It was a bit too warm to really be in my sleeping bag and I ended up having ants and who knows what else crawling over me through the night, so didn't sleep as well as I'd have liked. Got walking by 5:30, starting the climb from 2,200 feet back up into the 6,000 foot range. It was a little muggy but the trail climbed the eastern side of a side canyon to the main Feather River canyon and thus didn't get direct sunlight for quite a while. We followed along Chips Creek for about 10 miles, and most of the climbing was the normal well-graded PCT stuff we're used to. But once we crossed from Plumas into Lassen National Forest, things got a bit steeper until the trail climbed yet another side canyon up into a meadow then up onto the shoulder of Frog Peak.

Came down that hill on the other side yesterday. 

From there I could see the first good view of Lassen Peak, now just a handful of days walking away. There is quite a bit of smoke or valley smog so it still wasn't a great look, but still good to see. 

First good look at Lassen.

I'd been leapfrogging with Good Time Grant and Starburst all morning, and at Frog Spring I talked with them some about their work on container ships. I also saw Shenanigans several times today, first time since before Sonora Pass.

Frog Spring, cold and delicious.

From Frog Peak the trail did another 10 or so miles along a broad ridge through forest too thick to see through but still sparse enough to let in enough sun to be pretty warm. There wasn't much bird or other wildlife activity in the heat of the day, and I don't really even remember much of what I thought about. Just plain and simple walking in the woods.

I had afternoon siesta at Cold Spring, where a pipe coming up out of the ground gushes into a trough and a big chunk of meadow has been closed off from cows, I guess, with a split rail fence.

Eventually late in the day the trail came out of the woods onto a stunning volcanic ridge with red and brown rock formations. I could see Lassen again and also what I'm pretty sure is Lake Almanor off the the east, and more rolling green mountains in all directions. I continued along this ridge another 7 miles, enjoying warming light of the sinking sun. 



I finally got to my camp spot around 8. There is a spur trail off the ridge a whopping 0.3 miles to get water, which is a long long way. I dropped my pack and went down for water then came back up and set up camp in a saddle of the ridge with several other hikers.

-------
It's come to my attention from multiple sources that I wasn't totally clear what my trail name is. I am Chilly Willy, which is turning out to be a fun name that generally makes people smile.


Birds:
Western Wood-pewee 
Black-headed Grosbeak 
Spotted Towhee 
American Robin 
Bewick's Wren 
Acorn Woodpecker 
Steller's Jay
Northern Flicker 
Mourning Dove 
Wrentit 
Band-tailed Pigeon 
Lewis's Woodpecker- nest with chicks
Warbling Vireo 
Pacific Wren 
Canyon Wren
Hairy Woodpecker 
Brown Creeper 
Red-breasted Nuthatch 
Pileated Woodpecker 
Wilson's Warbler 
Golden-crowned Kinglet 
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
Green-tailed Towhee 
Olive-sided Flycatcher 
Chipping Sparrow 
Townsend's Solitaire 
Mountain Chickadee- fledgling 
Common Nighthawk 
Common Poorwill 

No comments:

Post a Comment