A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Friday, July 17, 2015

July 15. Day 75.

Five Lakes Creek to mile 1162.25.
Miles hiked: 26.35.


Up and walking by 6, aiming to get at least to the Peter Grubb Hut just north of I-80. My body is feeling good and the terrain is fairly mellow and at lower elevation, so I'm going to try and do at least 25 mile days for a while. The huge length of this trip has really been sinking in the last few days. I'm not even half done with the total mileage, and I still have more miles to go in CA than either OR or WA have! I'm still really enjoying this hike and really want to make it all the way to the end, but it is also getting hard being away from Libby and Abbey and everything at home. I think maybe now since I'm moving north of the SF Bay Area and now sort of walking away from home, I'm feeling a bit more homesick.

Squaw Creek and Granite Chief.

The trail followed up a broad side canyon around the back side of the Squaw Valley Ski Area, then passed through a sloping meadow full of birds and lupines and corn lilies and more, and crossed over to the front side of the Ski Area and under a few chair lifts. I could still see Lake Tahoe down to the south, and green heavily forested hills and mountains falling away to east and west.



I dropped down out of the ski area and passed the boundary of a UC Reserve; I didn't know there was one here. Then the trail did a countouring climb up to one of the more spectacular ridge walks we've had so far. The ridge top was open with sage and mules ear and paintbrush and a few scattered trees. The trail traced right on the ridge line for most of the next 6 miles, except where dark rocky outcrops force it to one side or the other. The views in all directions were incredible.



I made it down to the Historic Donner Pass at Hwy 40 by about 2. I was planning to continue the next three and a bit miles to the I-80 crossing before having a good sit down break, but I was waylaid by a beer and hotdog courtesy of Reno Dave. I ended up spending over an hour there, but I'm not sure where all that time went. Eventually I headed out again, walking near Pine Nut and another hiker Kobaine (different one than the guy now in bar tending school). After crossing under the busy I-80 via a pair of tall culverts, I stopped in at a hwy rest stop for some easy water and a bit more rest. I hung out a bit with Firecracker, Big Fish, and Aquaman, the. Got back to walking.

After the I-80 rest stop the trail climbed gently over Castle Pass the down to the Grubb Hut. Apparently Peter Grubb was an enthusiastic young member of the Sierra Club, and the hut was built in his honor. I spent a winter weekend here about 10 years ago, and with fond memories I took a quick walk through the steep-roofed stone and wood building.

I got a bit of water from the meandering stream then climbed another gradual slope up to a flattish point overlooking the steep lower country to the west. I set up camp there during a beautiful subtle sunset, then ate dinner and talked with Aquaman, Firecracker, and Big Fish over dinner, getting rid of some extra food I've been carrying.




Birds:
Song Sparrow 
White-crowned Sparrow 
Band-tailed Pigeon 
Clark's Nutcracker 
Mountain Chickadee 
Fox Sparrow 
Pine Siskin 
Oregon Junco 
Lazuli Bunting 
Western Tanager 
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
Western Wood-pewee 
American Robin 
Red-breasted Nuthatch 
Chipping Sparrow 
Cassin's Finch 
Vireo- couldn't decide if Cassin's or Plumbeous
Red-breasted Sapsucker 
Northern Flicker 
Red-tailed Hawk - dark
Steller's Jay 
Brown Creeper 
Olive-sided Flycatcher 
Black-headed Grosbeak 
Mountain Bluebird 
Cliff Swallow 
Brewer's Blackbird 
Canyon Wren 
Green-tailed Towhee 
Hairy Woodpecker 

No comments:

Post a Comment