A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Friday, July 17, 2015

July 13. Day 73.

Echo Chalet to Fontanillis Lake (mile 1108.2).
Miles hiked: 14.9.

Woke up pretty groggy from poker and tequila 'till midnight last night, but eventually got the motor running OK with a couple coffees. Packed up and said goodbyes and my brother in law Dan drove me back up to Echo Lake. It was a bit tough doing all this; the tug of the non-trail life was strong today. It felt really right to take the extra day to spend time with these important people in my life. But the comforts and conveniences of town life have a strong pull.

Dinked around the Echo Chalet, which is really just a little general store and post office, for another 45 minutes. Had to have a milkshake, and also uploaded the weekend post and talked with some hikers I've run into before. Got hiking at 12:15 and just sort of bumped along up the trail, around lower then Upper Echo Lakes then on up toward Lake Aloha. I was still tired from last night and my feet were numb as my new pair of shoes stretched and formed to my feet. I slipped on the rocks worn smooth by many footsteps on this popular trail. Over the weekend my mom had done something magical to my hiking shirt to get all the stains out, and today my shirt felt much softer and lighter under the sun, which was nice. Thanks Mom! I made it a bit over an hour then stopped overlooking the Echo Lakes and had some leftover BBQ salmon which had leaked it's juices into my lunch bag then had a little nap.

Echo Lakes

Woke feeling much better, as is usually the case, and finished the little climb to Lake Aloha. This is a really beautiful lake, with hundreds of little islands and rocks poking up and a ridge of high hard cold granite wrapping around 3 sides. I got some water and sat and enjoyed the view, and looked at the map to figure out how far I might get tonight. I decided to push on over Dick's Pass and camp just on the other side, which meant perhaps another 8 miles. So I hoisted my pack and set out again with a bit more intent in my step.

Lake Aloha 

From Aloha the trail dropped down past Heather and Susie Lakes, passing from white granite to red and brown some sort of rock. Then up past Gilmore and climbing up the side of a ridge to Dick's Pass. The top of this was flat and broad with little groups of pines scattered around. The sun was dipping down through thin clouds as I descended switchbacks the 2 miles down to Fontanillis Lake. The soft light glowed on trees and flowers and nearby ridges. 

Looking north from Dicks Pass 

Found camp in a little flat pocket among rolling granite slabs and watched the last of the orange on Dick's Peak. I had my first curry lentil soup of the trip, which was really good but the portion was a bit big and it turned into a double d of sport-eating at the end.


Birds:
Fox Sparrow 
Oregon Junco - nest, 4 eggs
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
Osprey 
Western Wood-pewee 
Steller's Jay - thanks Mark
Northern Flicker 
Mountain Chickadee 
Golden-crowned Kinglet 
Brewer's Blackbird 
White-crowned Sparrow 
Olive-sided Flycatcher 
American Robin 
Pine Siskin
Marmot
Pika
Red-breasted Nuthatch 
Clark's Nutcracker 
Western Bluebird 
Sooty Grouse 
Green-tailed Towhee 

2 comments:

  1. You're welcome! You should be considerably lighter, after all the dirt that came out of your shirt and socks! We loved spending time with you! Thanks for making the effort!

    ReplyDelete