A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Monday, June 8, 2015

June 8. Day 38.

Tehachapi to Tehachapi 
Miles hiked: 0

Had a pretty good zero day today. Slept in 'till 6:30. Had breakfast at the German Bakery across the street but didn't have to pay because some anonymous local had bought a gift card for hikers. Awesome town.

Did laundry then rented a Huffy from the hotel to ride the 1.5 miles to the Post Office for my food box then another 1.5 miles the other way to Big 5 where I learned that they are out of fuel canisters. The rented bike was great in stead of walking all those pavement miles, it mostly shifted gears and only had a couple stiff chain links and a slightly bent sprocket for a little variety in the pedal stroke.

Got a few supplies at Kmart then squeaked back to the hotel for some journal catch up, food sorting, and chatting with a few hikers. Some hikers are starting to talk about time pressure and finishing the trail before winter starts. I started to have a little panic about this over breakfast but will try not to let it dominate my hiking and planning. I think I'm still doing pretty good on time.

My leg is also doing a bit better. The swelling has gone way down, but it is still a little stiff. I'll try not to push too hard the next few days. 

Planning to catch the bus at 6 tomorrow to get back to the trail. Looks like the first water will be in only 20 miles, not 35, so my pack won't be too heavy with the 6-7 days of food I've got packed. Regardless, tomorrow may be the heaviest my pack ever is for the whole trip. 

2 comments:

  1. Glad that things are going well back on the trail! Also nice to see you are doing some nest searching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did I miss the reveal? What trail name did you write on the little girl's map? :)
    Happy, healthy hiking!!

    ReplyDelete