A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Update- I'm still here


Sending out a quick update about what's going on, and hopefully keep my small audience from forgetting about me.

I've had a ridiculously relaxing time off the trail. I've been taking it pretty easy, physically. I've mostly been hanging out on various couches and similar furniture, finally reading The Song Of The Dodo (which has been really interesting in light of the different "mountain islands" I've walked through so far with their different Chickadee songs and plant communities), eating lots of fruits and veggies that still have all their original water, and hanging out with my girls.

Had a picnic at Limantour Beach.

I've also run the gamut of medical advice for my little problem. I saw a regular doctor, who predictably advised rest, ibuprofen, and ice. I also saw a Rolfer (here's Wikipedia if you need it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolfing), who watched me walk and put my legs through some range of motion tests to find out where I had tension, then did some deep massage to get rid of it. Then I saw a physical therapist and got some suggestions about stretches and exercises to help heal the current and prevent additional problems. Finally, and I understand if you need to snicker at this one, I went to a place called the Reikes institute where I got a "body mechanics evaluation" and relearned how to walk, with an emphasis on making my stride more efficient so that I don't put too much strain on any one part of my legs. I also spent a few hours at REI walking around in a bunch of different shoes, and ended up deciding on the Brooks Cascadias. This is one of the more popular shoes on the trail, but when I tried them before the hike they felt too tight. Now that tightness just feels like the support I wasn't getting from the Altras, and now I'll fit in with the crown much better.

Classic Bay Area scene.

The consensus among all these folks was that I might be able to get away with just one week of rest, but two weeks would be best to really break the cycle of inflammation and irritation. So that's what I've decided to do. On Wed the 27th I'll take a plane-local transit-Grteyhound-taxi-regional transit combo trip to get back to Wrightwood. From there I'll pick up my stove which I mailed to myself since you can't bring those on a plane, then hike out of town to rejoin the PCT somewhere in the neighborhood of mile 362. I'll be missing about 7-8 trail miles, but I don't think its very likely that I can get a ride back exactly where I got off the trail, and I'd rather not backtrack or redo miles I've already done. Yes, this is another cut to the "continuous footpath" ideal that I had hoped for. I'll spare you all the details, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about this (couch time, remember), and I've come to terms with missing these miles.

So there we have it. 2 weeks off trail. Its felt so very long and so very short all at once. The great days with Libby and Abbey have passed so quickly, but when I think of how far up the trail I would have been if I were able to keep hiking, it seems like I've been off trail forever. The people I was hiking with are probably near Kennedy Meadows and the gateway to the Sierra about now. There have also been some exciting times out on the trail that I've missed out on. This most recent storm dumped a fair bit of snow in some areas I was just about to walk through, and I'm sorry to have missed that experience and challenge. But, this time off has allowed me to rest and recover, to make a few gear modifications that I've thought of so far, and importantly to reconnect with family and friends.

Being back with the convenience of a real computer also allows me to more-easily share with you a couple things you might be interested in. First, you may recall someone I was hiking with back between Idyllwild and Ziggy and The Bear's, named Zack. I mentioned before that he is a Navy vet, but I didn't mention that he is starting up a webpage to help foster a community of vets who can share inspirational stories and provide support for each other. It is just in the initial stages, and Zack's hike is sort of the kiskstart for the project, but if you know any vets out there you might consider passing the web address along: vetconnect.us.

Second, when I was at the kickoff event, there was a screening of a really great movie that a couple of hikers form the Class of 2014 made about their hike last year. Maybe you've seen Wild, but this film might give you a slightly different perspective about the variety of people out there hiking the trail, and the range of experiences they have. It was also filmed and edited really well, and what's more, the guys who made it just put it up on the internet for free! It's more or less a full length movie, so grab some popcorn and enjoy: http://domorewithlessfilm.com/

I'll also put links to these 2 things over there on the right somewhere.

So I'll be back out on the trail in just a few more days, thinking of more bad jokes to share with you.

6 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you will be able to continue your adventure! Best of luck, Scott! We'll be thinking of you on the 27th

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you're doing better. We're looking forward to reading more about your hike. Diane and Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. What...??...no Bay Area bird report? jk
    Glad to hear you are on the mend and headed back to the trail. Looking forward to your trip reports. J&P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that you are healing well, Scott! Will you be staying on a maintenance dose of an anti-inflammatory? I look forward to your future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gretchen,
      I may do a light NSAID dose in the evenings, but I'm wary of taking anything that might mask pain while hiking, for fear of covering up pain and possibly doing additional damage. Any nursely advice?

      Delete
  5. Sorry to hear about your leg, Scott. Hope that it's healing and that you are taking just another one of the PCTs unanticipated adventures in stride...see what I did there? I think it's the odd few hikes that follow 100% on trail, so to me, your story seems exactly like a long distance hike...pain, miles, insights, perseverance, and lots of calories. If you're looking for a good book I hear Mixed effects models and extensions in ecology with R by Zuur is a great read! ;)

    ReplyDelete