A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

May 5. Day 17.

 PCT mile 232.9 to Arrastre Trail Camp (PCT mile 256.2).
Miles hiked: 23.3.

Woke to a Western Screech-owl toot toot toot too-too-too-too-ing around 4:30 this morning. I had again fallen asleep part way through journal writing, so I finished up with that then got moving. The trail continued up an ever-steepening and narrowing canyon, at times climbing several hundred feet above the creek bed. For the second time this trip I was stumped by a Lazuli Bunting singing. I was leapfrogging with Diogenes and Kale, who I met at kickoff and who have caught up to me, and Silver. These guys are efficient hikers, all moving at about the same pace, and the really interesting thing is that they are about 20 years apart from each other in age.

Yucca

Lupine

We climbed about 2000 feet between mile 235 and 240, up into a forest of big J. Pines and Incense Cedars and occasional oaks. At me 239 we all stopped to get water, and chatted about nothing in particular. Shortly after David and KC (met them day 1) caught up. They are hiking together, sort of with Pinky and The Jesus (who I last saw in Idyllwild). It's pretty interesting how different peoples paths keep crossing; I'll go 4 or 5 days without seeing someone, then a of a sudden there they are on the side of the trail. I wonder how many miles and days we've hiked being just out of site of each other, just around the next bend. I didn't see You Again and Angie all day, but they were probably right behind me the whole to. An American Robin was building a nest in a cedar tree, and it looked like she was bringing wet moss or something from the creek to add to the nest.

After topping out somewhere above 8000 feet, the trail side hilled around the small peaks of a ridge that separated the desert from the LA Basin. There were alternately views west down a long forested valley toward a sea of fog/smog, east out over the bad empty yet so full desert, and back south, with San Jacinto occasionally in view behind its taller neighbor San Gorgonio. 

San Jacinto on the left and San Gorgonio to the right.

The miles drifted into the past. I had lunch around me 246, right after I passed 2 other hikers, one of which was peeing right as I walked past, and the other of which was asleep just downhill of the trail, wedged up against a log, almost looking like he'd fallen there off a horse or broomstick or something. I had to do a double take to make sure he was breathing and really just taking a nap. It turned out they are a father (napped)/son (pee-er) pair section hiking north from I-10. 

A bit after lunch I flushed a Junco from her nest, tucked under an overhanging clump of plant just uphill of the trail like they always seem to be; 3 eggs. I so saw Clarks Nutcrackers. I've never studied their range map very carefully, but I wasn't expecting to see them until the Sierra. Turns out this is right at the southern edge of where they're typically found. I also passed a set of cages with a Grizzly Bear, tiger, and maybe some other critters. These are the animals we see in movies and on TV. They live up here on this mountain in pretty small cages with not really much stimulation. Except that during this time of year they get to smell and lazy watch a bunch of hikers go by. Sort of depressing.

After the cages the trail began a slow descent down toward the Big Bear area. I entered a forest of really big junipers and what may be Singleaf Pinyons. There was also a very beautiful red-flowered cactus that might be Claret-cup Cactus. 

At this point I was starting to get a bit tired and foot-sore. I hadn't brought enough water for this possibly 17 mile dry stretch, and even though there ended up being good water at mile 250, I didn't realize until after I passed there that I was starting to get a little stupid. I sat down and had a Snickers and some water, emptied the pebbles from my shoes and retightened them, the. Continued on my way doing a little better. Finally made it to Arratre Trail Camp a bit after 5. Kale was just leaving to do a few more miles, but I ate my little pot of mashed potatoes and veggies with Diogenes and Silver and another section hiker named Scott. Word on the trail is that there is some weather coming, possibly with snow, so folks are planning to get to Big Bear tomorrow or the next day to wait it out. I was able to get phone reception to call the hostel to see if they have room for me tomorrow, and they said it's only a 60% chance of snow. We'll see...



I've got 9.9 miles to go tomorrow to get to the road into town. If I make it there by 9 I can get a ride to the hostel in their sort of shuttle. Otherwise I'll be hitching. We'll see...

2 comments:

  1. Did you see the bear and caged lion before or after the snickers bar? You sure you didn't imagine that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahaha I was thinking the same thing! :O)

    ReplyDelete