A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Thursday, May 7, 2015

May 6. Day 18.

Arrastre Trail Camp to Big Bear Lake (exit PCT mile 275).
Miles hiked: 18.8 on PCT, plus 2.8 on road.

Brrrr. Last night was the coldest yet, right around freezing. I didn't set up my shelter and just had my light base layers on, and was just a bit too cold to really sleep starting around 2 this morning. I dozed and did sit-ups until 4:30, when I had set my alarm. Made coffee and stuffed all my things in my pack, staying in my sleeping bag until the last moment then jumping up, tying shoes on, stuffing the bag in the top of my pack, and starting walking. I started slow, letting the legs warm up, feeling my way along the trail in that pale light between the soft yellow of the setting moon and the cold glow of the growing dawn. As you'll recall, the  early start was in order to make it the 9.9 miles to the highway 18 crossing (PCT mile 265-ish) by 9 this morning to get a ride in the Big Bear Hostel shuttle.



A little after sunrise I was off trail a bit checking out what turned out to be a Chukar, and looked back at the trail and saw You Again and Angie go cruising by. My long lost buddies! I got back to the trail and caught them when they stopped to adjust clothing. We caught up on everything that happened yesterday, determining that they were just ahead of me all day, then they mentioned that they were going all the way to mile 275, where there is another road to access town. They said the hitch is supposed to be easy there, and also said they had some extra snacks I could have since I was down to just a bit of granola. I thought about this for a moment, then decided to go for it.

They handed over some bars and meat sticks then we set out. We wanted to get to town with enough time to take care of resupply chores this afternoon then try to get back on the trail tomorrow morning, so we kept up a pretty good pace. The trail was great for quick walking: gentle ups and downs through the cool morning, passing by junipers and Pinyons and occasional Joshua Trees, along a ridge with a long view east and north out over the desert below. Black-chinned Sparrows and Green-tailed Towhees were the birds of the morning.



I stopped to change clothes and they continued ahead, and for the next several miles they were just a few trail bends ahead of me. I crossed hwy 18 at 8:30 and kept going. I got a bit of water at the Doble Spring camp, then passed Y.A. and Angie while they took a break. The trail made a gentle climb up into to mixed juniper/Pinyon/Jeffrey pine/oak forest, crossing a few rocky talus slopes with scrub and California Thrashers singing. I passed day hikers, my new thru-hiking legs feeling strong under an empty pack. Then You Again passed me, and a bit later Angie too. I got some new birds for the trip: Chipping Sparrow and what I'm pretty sure was Cassin's Vireo, then right before me 175 some Red-breasted Sapsuckers. On the last mile or so I chatted and walked with a nice couple about birds and trees. I got to mile 275 just after noon, having covered almost 19 miles by lunch time. It was pretty fun to push like that and see what I could do. I don't want every morning on the trail to be like that, but now and then it's pretty fun.

I walked another 2.8 miles down to the highway into Big Bear Lake, and quickly got a ride to the hostel. The front desk person, "Sarge" wasn't there, but another staff person told me hat a couple had just arrived and were next door at the Mexican food place. I assumed this was You Again and Angie, but it turned out to be Sweetums and he who is now Skua ( he actually spent the last 2 years at McMurdo Station, where my Antarctic work was based out of). I got some fish tacos because I thought they were going to be only a dollar, but they weren't. You Again and Angie showed up about the time we were done, then we all reconvened back at the hostel to get checked in by Sarge around 2:30 or 3.

Got the rooms, took a shower, did laundry, and bought a few supplies. In the evening we went out to Himalyan food (just like Indian), then got a few beers and watched the first half of Top Gun; what a classic!

Birds:
Western Bluebird 
Mountain Chickadee 
Oregon Junco
Olive-sided Flycatcher 
Spotted Towhee
Black-chinned Sparrow
Chukar
Green-tailed Towhee
Wilson's Warbler 
Ash-throated Flycatcher 
Bewick's Wren 
Yellow-rumped Warbler 
House Finch
California Thrasher
Chipping Sparrow*
Mourning Dove
Clark's Nutcracker 
Violet-green Swallow
Cassin's Vireo*
Red-breasted Sapsucker*
Black-headed Grosbeak 

4 comments:

  1. glad you made it to someplace warm - just checked the weather down there and it looks like it's getting intense! no wonder you did such big miles. we had rain up here in monterey bay today, and a lot of it. so glad you are seeing black-chinned and black-throated sparrows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure am enjoying reading your blog! Sounds like things are going well for you on the trail. May your good health continue!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scott: Thank you for the blog! It is keeping me going during thesis writing. Allyson and I (especially Allyson) are strong supporters of the Scott-humor laden adventures and have been spreading to the word to those that have already forgotten you. Hopefully this results is a significant increase in your audience and your future appearance on various late night programs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben. Glad you're liking it. Say hi to Allyson for me.

      Delete