A hike on the Pacific Crest Trail

Hi everyone. This blog will chronicle my walk along the Pacific Crest Trail. Snoop around and find out about who I am, why I'm doing this, what I'll be bringing, and follow along as I hopefully make it all the way from Mexico to Canada.

Sunday, April 26, 2015

April 26. Day 8.

Barrel Spring to Warner Springs (PCT mile 109.5)
Miles hiked: 8.4

With just a short hike in to Warner Springs today, and needing to wait until tomorrow to get my resupply box from the post office, I planned on a relaxing morning. Luckily the weather was greatly improved, and I lounged around in the sun, letting all my stuff dry, until about 11. A Pacific Slope Flycatcher and several other birds were very busy in the big valley live oaks around camp.

I started hiking slowly, the trail wandering up over little scrubby hills then down through flat little valleys with short straw-colored grass that smelled of cow but had only ground squirrels and ants doing their little squirrel and ant things. For about 100 meters a California Sister butterfly drifted along the trail a few feet in front of me. Cliff Swallowed circled overhead. Lark Sparrows sang for the tops of oaks, and Horned Larks did their little twinkling noises out in the grass.

Around mile 104 a was walking along, minding my own business, when all of a sudden right there next to the trail was a clean, clear, burbling stream. This was the first natural water (not counting rain) since about mile 28 on day 2. I was startled, and actually said out loud "whoa!" I took a break in the shade of a giant sycamore to reapply sunscreen and regain m composure. I got both accomplished just before two people came by on horses.

Next I passed Eagle Rock, which is just what it sounds like, spanning about 15 feet tall and 35 feet wide. Actually, based on bill size and posture, I think it looks more like a Turkey Vulture with its wings spread out in the early morning. But I didn't tell anyone that since I didn't want to seem unpatriotic. I'm still having phone issues so no photos, but this is one of the most photographed landmarks along the trail, so you should be able to find a picture and decide for yourself. The final mile or 2 into Warner Springs were along a lovely little creek with giant valley live oaks, some 4 feet across.

Once into Warner Springs I found my way to the community resource center where volunteers do a great job taking care of hikers. I started out with a double cheeseburger (finally did what'll those Mt Laguna chickadees were telling me to do), then did some laundry in the outdoor shower, talked to Libby, and finally spent the rest of the afternoon and evening hanging out with all the other hikers here. There are about 40 or so others here, and most of the other people I have hiked or camped with are here, so it's been pretty fun.

Birds:
One week in and I'm up to about 71 species.
OATI
PSFL*
ATFL
ACWO
GHOW
TOWA
BUSH
CORA
NEWR
LEGO
WIWA
WCSP
WREN
CATH -really good look today, it was acting like a CALT
SPTO
CALT
MODO
CAQU
CLSW*
LASP*
WETA
RTHA
WEME
HOLA*
EUST
HUVI*
LEGO
WEBL
YRWA
RSHA
AMCR
LEWO*
SAPH*
TUVU
Great-tailed Grackle 

No comments:

Post a Comment